The Way I See It

Here you will find a collection of my columns which originally appeared in The Berkeley Independent (www.berkeleyind.com). I write about family, cutlure, politics, society and gernerally anything else that I find amsuing.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Way I See It - Graceland at Christmastime

The Way I See It
By Doug Dickerson
Staff Writer
January 10, 2007

I want to entertain people. That’s my whole life. To my last breath.
-Elvis Presley

I was in Memphis for New Years visiting my family. My plan during the few short days there was to take Kara, our little “Teddy Bear,” on a tour of Graceland since she has become quite the Elvis fan. I was sixteen years old when Elvis died and remember the events of those days vividly. Elvis’ music and legend continues and a new generation of fans, my daughter among them, lives on. As something of a humorous undertaking, each member of our household has been assigned an Elvis song title as a theme song.

On the designated day of our pilgrimage to Graceland, Kara was “All Shook Up” as it was raining buckets and making the long trip across town was just “Too Much.” In addition, a large family gathering was scheduled for the afternoon and there would be “Crying in the Chapel” if we bailed on that event.

My oldest daughter Katelyn, the “Devil in Disguise,” had movie plans with my niece and the window of opportunity was rapidly closing on the Elvis excursion. I figured “It’s Now or Never,” and a compromise was reached. I listened to the “Hard Headed Woman”, my wife, who suggested I pick the girls up from the movie and take all of them to Graceland. “Suspicious Minds” worried that Graceland might be closed New Years Day, and sadly, our suspicions proved to be true.

It was dark as we drove across Memphis and not wanting to end up “In the Ghetto,” I relied on the directionally challenged guidance of my older daughter. The highly anticipated moment arrived as I drove the girls by the Lisa Marie, Elvis’ airplane, which is parked across the street from Graceland and next to “The Heartbreak Hotel.” After a few moments of gawking at the Lisa Marie, we headed across the street to the only open gift shop. After picking up a few magnets, postcards and key chains, we walked down to the gated entrance of Graceland.

The grounds of Graceland at Christmas are beautiful. Blue lights line the drive; a nativity is there among many other lighted decorations. It’s been said that the mansion is still decorated the same way it was when Elvis was alive. A few other folks braved the cold elements and took in the sights along with us. The girls seemed to have a big time taking in the sights so it was not a “Blue Christmas” by any stretch.

After seeing Graceland, we headed back to the house to give a full report and account of our adventure. The drive back to the house had “A little less conversation” as they soaked in all that they had seen. I knew they would “Love Me Tender” for taking them to Graceland for such a memorable visit.

Everyone enjoyed hearing about our pilgrimage and I knew the “Hard Headed Woman” would be thrilled that the girls saw Graceland; and that her “Big Hunk O’ Love” had saved the day! After almost losing Grace and Katelyn in London a few years back, I think they all just breathed a sigh of relief that I brought them back home.

“Now and Then, A Fool Such as I” has to realize it’s tough being the “Hound Dog” of the family.

©Summerville Journal-Scene 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home