The Way I See It

Here you will find a collection of my columns which originally appeared in The Berkeley Independent (www.berkeleyind.com). I write about family, cutlure, politics, society and gernerally anything else that I find amsuing.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Way I See It - Nothing could be finer than living in South Carolina

The Way I See It
By Doug Dickerson
June 6, 2007

Nothing could be finer than living in South Carolina

After a leisurely walk out on Folly Beach this past weekend, I was reminded why living in South Carolina is such a treat. From the beautiful beaches, excellent golf courses, southern charm and hospitality, to our rich southern heritage and history, we have it all. There are plenty of activities to enjoy year-round regardless of what season it is. Oh, and did I mention the food? Lowcountry cuisine is simply the best.

With all of the qualities that make South Carolina a wonderful place to live, work and recreate in, living in the south is truly a rich, cultural experience.

After all these years of living in South Carolina, I still find some things rather amusing. Take some of our laws that are still on the books; all schools must prepare a suitable program for Francis Willard Day, horses may not be kept in bathtubs, fortune tellers are required to obtain a special permit from the state, musical instruments may not be sold on Sunday, it is a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while attempting suicide, by law, if a man promises to marry an unmarried woman, the marriage must take place, it is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.

While these archaic laws may be quirky, South Carolina living is still one of immense pleasure.

I recently came across a little expose' about living in the south that was passed on to me in an email. It is entitled, The South, I am sure you will enjoy.

Tennessee - The owner of a golf course was confused about paying an invoice, so he decided to ask his office secretary for some mathematical help. He called her into his office and said, "You graduated from the University of Tennessee and I need some help. If I were to give you $20,000, minus 14 percent, how much would you take off?" The secretary thought a moment, and then replied, "Everything but my earrings."

Alabama - A group of Alabama friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day. That night, one of the hunters returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck. "Where's Henry?" the others asked. "Henry had a stroke of some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail," the successful hunter replied. "You left Henry laying out there and carried the deer back?" they inquired. "A tough call," nodded the hunter. "But I figured no one is going to steal Henry!"

Louisiana - A senior at LSU was overheard saying..."When the end of the world comes, I hope to be in Louisiana." When asked why, he replied he'd rather be in Louisiana because everything happens in Louisiana 20 years later than in the rest of the civilized world.

Georgia - A Georgia State trooper pulled over a pickup on I-75. The trooper asked, "Got any I.D.?" The driver replied, "Bout whut?"

North Carolina - A man in North Carolina had a flat tire, pulled off the side of the road, and proceeded to put a bouquet of flowers in front of the car and one behind it. Then he got back in the car to wait. A passerby studied the scene as he drove by and was so curious he turned around and went back. He asked the fellow what the problem was. The man replied, "I have a flat tire." The passerby asked, "But what's with the flowers?" The man responded, "When you break down they tell you to put flares in front and flares in the back. Hey, it don't make sense to me neither."

And this from South Carolina - "You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't neva heard of anyone retiring to the North!"

Doug can be reached at editor@berkeleyind.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home